SharePoint Online Search Results and PnP Search Web Parts suddenly stops working


Introduction

We have been working at iThink 365 with one of the NHS Trust in the UK to move their SharePoint 2010 environment to SharePoint Online.

One of the tools that we have made a lot of use of is the excellent PnP Search Webparts. If you have not checked these out then you must do so, more information here (https://microsoft-search.github.io/pnp-modern-search/).

Here is an example of something that was built with them.

The strange thing we were seeing is that every once in a while the search results would stop working. No one seem to do anything or at least change anything but they would stop working.

The search results used custom search result sources (site settings -> manage result sources) and Microsoft SharePoint search rather than Microsoft Graph.

Resolution

After a lot of trying out different queries in the search result sources page the issue was down to one main issue.

Here is the original result source query which looked like this:

The fixed version ended up being this, do you see the subtle difference?

Note: the double quotes around the path.

On a couple of occasions the ” were stripped out of the query when a user went into the search results and we think that an administrator was saving the result query rather than cancelling and this seemed to break the search web part.

Anyway hope that helps someone as it took us a few hours to work out what was going on!

Use NPM and gulp build tasks to support Continuous Integration with VSTS and Azure for an AngularJS app


Interesting stuff from Matt, will have to incorporate this into the Invoice Form Application.

Moopoo

Introduction

This is the first in a series of posts will take you through the steps required to take a static website, in my case an Angular SPA and deploy this to an Azure App Service (Web App) via Visual Studio Team Services (VSTS). The Angular SPA is secured by ADALJS and the last part of this series will help us use gulp tasks within VSTS to configure the Angular app for different environments.

The application is built using Visual Studio Code all in HTML and JavaScript, so no Visual Studio and no VS builds. The aim is that when we check code into VSTS source control a build task will run and deploy this into Azure for us. Although my app is written in Angular, only the last post makes actual reference to this and shows anything Angular specific. Your app could be written with any framework you like…

View original post 489 more words